Soak up some Franconian flavours. In our inn’s kitchen, we produce classic regional dishes and new takes on Franconian cuisine.
Come and enjoy delicious food in our inn or beer garden. We serve food that tastes every bit as good as it looks.
We are proud to be listed among the Gscheitgut-Gasthof selection of inns! www.gscheitgut.de is an officially recognised portal for Franconian food and gastronomy. The portal only lists inns that uphold the traditions of Franconian cuisine and use local ingredients. Read the article on our inn and brewery now (article in German).
We are proud of the brewing tradition we have created over more than 160 years. In 1995 we joined the Bioland organic farming association, and since then have been brewing our beer according to organic principles. This means that our barley (malt), wheat and hops are all exclusively organically grown, by producers in our home region of Franconia.
The history of the brewery stretches back to 1848, and we have summarised the main highlights here.
The Pfister capacity for innovation has been reflected in the Brau.Kultur brand too, from limited-edition seasonal Pfister beers that change every year to the “Rauschfrei” alcohol-free options introduced in 2019.
The inn’s rooms were renovated and since spring 2015 have been branded for guests using the modern Land.Quartier image.
In 1995, Elisabeth and Stefan Pfister took over the inn and were pioneers in Northern Bavaria with their switch to organic beer production. Since that date, Elisabeth Pfister has been the main host, looking after the food and accommodation side of the business while Stefan Pfister focuses on creating true mementoes of Franconia in the brewery.
Another milestone was achieved in 1987 when a new programme of renovations in the brewery permitted an upgrade to a fully automated brewing process. The kitchens were also upgraded the same year. In December 1985 the brewery started to produce bock beer, while Stefan introduced a wheat beer in July 1986, further expanding the product range. Everything was now in place for the fulfilment of our founder’s original objective of providing modern hospitality in a contemporary setting.
The milking herd left in 1966 while the final beef cattle departed the sheds in 1977, permitting a new direction with an evolution of the village inn activities to create a hospitality business for tourists and visitors, after a programme of modernisation of course. Extension of the guest rooms in 1972 and the creation of 35 bedrooms in 1979 helped increase turnover further.
A bottling operation started in 1954, while a fully automated bottling plant was established in 1982 in response to rising demand. In 1962 a larger “lager” cellar was created and the brewery conversion in 1969 allowed for further expansion after doing away with the previous in-house maltings.
The introduction of a refrigeration system in 1940 freed the brewery up from its attachment to the “lager” cellars and also meant that brewing could continue throughout the summer. A yield of 20,000 litres of beer in 1900 became 30,000 litres in 1950 and broke the 100,000 litre limit in 1976. Following a small reduction in the 2000s, we are once again brewing around one hundred thousand litres of beer a year.
Following the founder’s passing in 1891, his son Michael took over the business. When Michael died in in 1910, he in turn was succeeded by his son Joh. Baptist, who became the owner of the brewery and farm. In 1962, the next son, Josef, took the reins. And since 1994, the inn has been in the hands of Josef’s children, Stefan and Elisabeth.
A royal “concession” to operate the brewery was granted in 1850. After a few trials and having successfully resolved the brewer’s conundrum of how to keep things cool, Johann Georg Pfister soon found the right recipe. The concession document issued “IN THE NAME OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING”, dated 25 November 1850 and still in existence today, is evidence of the legitimate right to operate the brewery. To improve cooling further and therefore produce better quality beer, he established the Schwarzer Keller at the edge of the Lange Meile plateau, which remains a popular destination for days out.
Our brewery was founded in 150 years ago by Johann Georg Pfister. He married the innkeeper’s daughter Magdalena Betz on 5 March 1848, and according to family records immediately got to work creating the brewery for local dark beer.
As a result, the date of his wedding is also the date on which our brewery was founded. The year 1848 is also chiselled into the stone above the old brewery entrance and on the corner of the old Weißer Keller. And from that day, the tavern that had been documented from 1612 became a brewery.